Monday, October 17, 2016

*Interview* with author Bethany Adams



Interview with author Bethany Adams 


1.       What are you working on right now?
I’ve just finished up Sundered, Book 2 in The Return of the Elves. I’m working on a short story that happens between Books 2 and 3, and then I’ll be heading into the first draft of Book 3.


2.       Tell us about your writing process.
Everything starts with a scene that flashes into my head. For whatever reason, that character has something to say, I guess. J I thought that was unique to writing new ideas, but it has held up even with my series. Even if I rewrite the scene a time or two, the heart of it stays the same.
In general, I’m a pantser, not a plotter. The story flows out from that first scene, but I find I do have general goalposts in my head of plot points I want to happen. Then during the second draft stage, I rewrite or delete scenes that aren’t working.


3.       Who was your favorite character to write?  Who was the hardest to write?
To write? From Soulbound, Ralan. He’s an amusing blend of arrogant and nice, and I enjoyed writing all of his scenes. From Sundered, Pol. He brings fun to any scene. My favorite character in general, though, is Lyr. I’ve always had a soft spot for him.
The hardest to write was Meli, who you meet in Sundered. She suffers from social anxiety and self-confidence issues, and they were so like mine it was difficult at times. I know some people will dislike that she starts out weaker and must build her sense of self-worth, and that critique will sting with a character so close to my heart. But maybe bolstering Meli has helped bolster myself.


4.       Do you write full time or do you have another job?
I write full time.


5.       What do you like to do in your spare time?
Aside from reading (is there a writer who doesn’t like reading??), I love video games. I play all different kinds, though I prefer either fantasy-based like Elder Scrolls or strategy/simulation. Civilization 6 comes out just before Sundered does, and there’s a Skyrim rerelease a few days after when I don’t have any hard deadlines. Yessss. LOL


6.       Do you have any favorite TV shows?
There are a few, but I never seem to get into streaming shows like a lot of people do. I love quirky shows like Expedition Unknown and Mysteries at the Museum. I also like talent-style reality shows like America’s Got Talent and Project Runway. I’m really wanting to start watching Luke Cage once this deadline is over.


7.       What is your guilty pleasure?
Harlequin Romance novels. It’s an odd choice for a fantasy author, but I’ve found that it’s tough to beat a well-done Harlequin for character-driven plots. So much has to be conveyed in such a short book.  


8.       Who are your favorite authors?
Mercedes Lackey and Robin McKinley are my all-time favorites, and I think that shows in my own writing. I also love Lynsay Sands, Kresley Cole, and quite a few of my MCRW chapter mates: Jody Wallace, D.B. Sieders, S.E. Summa, Eve Milady.


9.       What was your last 5 star read?
I just finished The Beauty and the Bachelor by Naima Simone and loved it! Character-driven, lots of emotion, hot Irish guy… :-D


10.   If you could turn your book(s) into a movie, who would you cast to play your characters?
Surprisingly, I haven’t put a lot of thought into this. Mostly because I’m afraid of what Hollywood would do with my books. LOL. I was thinking the other day that Lee Pace, who played Thranduil, would do well as Lyr. I haven’t had any other Hollywood-style inspiration, though.

***************************************



Thank you Bethany Adams for taking the time to answer these questions for us. 

Stop by Bookworm Mom on Facebook to check out the teasers from her books that have been posted throughout her week during the Foster An Author event.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore